Physical Literacy - Session 1
The body is an amazing tool and can move in so many different ways! Lots of sports and activities share a broad range of fundamental movements, run, jump, cut etc. Before learning how to specialize or focus on target areas we must be prepared by exploring these different movements. This will form the foundation of our journey and we will revisit some of them in every session moving forward.
Being prepared, both physically and mentally will sets us up for success, regardless of the task at hand. Whether at school, on the field, or at a future job, being prepared with a solid foundation of experience and understanding will help us achieve our goals!
- Call your life play - on a scale of 1-5 how are you feeling today?
- What are some of the different ways people move when playing soccer? Basketball?
- Do you think a marathon runner would make a good football player? Why? Why not?
- What are the benefits of being physically fit overall versus sport-specific fitness?
These exercises can be done either in place or over a 10-20 yard distance. Demonstrate each exercise then have the students complete that exercise for 30 seconds before moving on to the next. Click on each exercise for a video demonstration!
Remind students about their Fitness Journal and RPE. They should be documenting throughout the session!
Our Movement Preparation Library
Our Activation Exercise Library
This is a walking cool down. While walking around the outside of the gym or marching in place, complete the following stretches and breathing routine. View in the Cool Down Library.
- Call your life play - on a scale of 1-5 how are you feeling after this session?
- How would incorporate some of these exercises into your workouts help improve your overall fitness?
- Do you think any of these exercises will be particularly helpful in building a foundation for the sport you like to play best?